Surlingham.org is a non-profit website run for the benefit of residents, visitors to Surlingham and those with connections to the village. Articles and information will be posted on Surlingham.org if they are of interest or promote the life of the village.
- Organisations, local business and individuals with news are encouraged to post to the site and will be configured to do so on request. Surlingham.org asks that only one person from each organisation posts information on the site where possible. Contributors are configured as ‘Authors’. Please use ‘Contact us‘ to request authorisation.
- Occasional contributions are accepted for publication by the Webmaster from others who may not have the volume of material to become an Author or may not be confident with computers. Please use ‘Contact us‘ to supply material to the site.
- The Surlingham.org webmaster screens news items offering guidance but does not originate or write articles for Authors. Information sent to the webmaster should be received in a fit state for publication.
- The Webmaster reserves the right to edit any material posted or supplied to the site for clarity. The Webmaster may also decline to publish or remove an article at their discretion. In exceptional circumstances the webmaster may require an Author to be moderated (meaning that their material will be reviewed before publication).
- Overt commercialism is discouraged. The site is for news items and village information only. Businesses should be careful when adding items and ask themselves ‘is this news or advertising.’ If a company wants to put an article or ‘infomercial’ on the site, please use ‘Contact us‘ to discuss the possibility. Such commercial posts will be clearly labelled.
- Authors must be careful of over-contributing or ‘spamming’ the site. A balance between information and excessive publication is to be struck. Authors should be aware that when a post is published, over 200 emails are sent to the site’s followers.
- All articles that have been received by the webmaster for publication must have the text ‘information received from ’ at the end of the article in italics to indicate the source of the information.
- As there are programs on the internet specifically designed to ‘harvest’ email addresses, we discourage publishing email addresses on the site. Email contact is preferably made via ‘Contact us’ only. Telephone numbers may be published, however.
- Any links included in posts will be hidden under a ‘click here’ text. Links should open a new window or tab unless the link is to a page within the site.
- The site is run by a ‘Webmaster’ with an ‘Editor’ acting as backup. Delegation of the management of the site to the Editor may occur from time to time.
- Surlingham.org does not support users of the site on an individual basis. Any problems incurred that are site specific should be raised by using ‘Contact us’. Individual users computer issues should be resolved separately.
- Surlingham.org does not take positions in partisan issues either within the village, or generally. Requests to support or publish material that supports one side or another will be politely declined.
- The webmaster’s decision is final in all matters concerning the site.