SURLINGHAM PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting dated Tuesday 17 March 2020
Present: Councillors John Broom, Richard Atkins, Dave Swinborne, Mike Stiff, Will Mack. Clerk Janet Rogers and 8 members of the public.
- Welcome by the Chairman
Councillor Broom advised that where possible the business of the Parish Council agenda would be suspended for this meeting and the time devoted to establishing a plan for support to residents in self isolation.
- Apologies and approval of absences – Councillor Phil Reeve, Pat Scowen and County and District Councillor Vic Thomson
- Declarations of Interest – None
- To approve as accurate the minutes of the meeting on 17 February 2020 – Approved
- The meeting was then thrown open to the residents for ideas of how residents could be supported and how the volunteers can be co-ordinated.
Following her post on Surlingham.org at the weekend, Sarah Broom been contacted by 15 volunteers and Padmaloka has offered too.
Residents will be assured regarding confidentiality that any personal information either regarding health/medication or personal details divulged to a volunteer in the course of delivering supplies or emotional support via the telephone, will remain between the resident and the volunteer and not shared with another person.
The Ferry will provide basic meals either hot or chilled to microwave or freeze. Discounted for the over 60s. The Patisserie and Yare Valley Farm shop are also willing to provide supplies and the farm shop is now stocking milk. Sarah has stocked up on disposable glove and hand sanitiser for volunteers and has reserved online delivery slots with one of the supermarkets.
Louise Swift suggested setting up a dedicated a page on Surlingham.org for updates and information. Rev Nick Garrard confirmed church services have been suspended. There are plans for a Facebook page for the Rockland group of Churches. Louise suggested he also posts on Surlingham.org.
Clive Evans mentioned that for the first 6 weeks newspapers can be delivered free of the delivery charge click the link here.
Discussions then turned to how to inform residents and how the volunteers would be managed. A flyer will be produced, and hand delivered to each property. It will explain what help is available and how to contact the volunteers. It is likely that a ‘Whatsapp’ group is the most practical way of organising the volunteers. It was established four volunteers should share the co-ordination of the group and a further meeting was arranged for the next day.
- Parish Council Finance – To authorise payments/cheques Payments; Clerk Salary £295.95, Household Expenses £15.15, Travel 19.80, Booking clerk/cleaner including expenses £111.95, HMRC PAYE £222, SSE electricity bill £2591.71, Debit card payments – Minute man press £21, Toilet roll holder £1.89, Post caps £29.97, Waste bin for servery £10.90, postage £4.20 – Authorised
- 30 MPH Bramerton Road – NCC update to follow
- Parish Hall – to date almost all groups have ceased for the duration of the crisis. Hirers can rest assured they will not lose their regular bookings.
- To confirm the date of the next meeting
The Annual Parish Meeting planned for the 21 April 2020 will not go-ahead urgent Council business will be dealt with via email and the details posted on Surlingham.org. and the noticeboard. Councillors will decide later if and how the Annual Parish Council meeting on 19 May 2020 will be held.