Surlingham Parish Council – Draft Minutes 17 November 2020


SURLINGHAM PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the virtual meeting held on Tuesday 17 November 2020 at 7:30p.m

Attending: Councillors John Broom, Richard Atkins, Pat Scowen, Phil Reeve. Will Mack, Craig Neave, Dave Swinborne, Clerk Janet Rogers and 3 members of the public.

  1. Welcome by the Chairman – The Chairman opened the meeting and welcomed Craig Neave as a Parish Councillor appointed by the Parish Council on 10 November 2020.
  2. Apologies and approval of absences – County and District Councillor Thomson
  3. Declarations of Interest – None
  4. To approve as accurate the minutes of the meeting on 20 October 2020 – Approved
  5. Matters arising from those minutes – Councillor Scowen asked for confirmation of the following items, item 6 Had a response been received from Mr & Mrs Rix regarding the old mower – Chair replied no. item 11 Regarding the water quality information, was any further action required by the Parish Council. Councillor Atkins replied not at this stage County Councillor Thomson has taken the matter up with AWA. He would like any recent photographs of evidence that rubbish from the city is landing in Surlingham to be emailed to him.
  6. Progress reports Councillors/Clerk – Clerk informed the Council to date there has been no reply from NCC Highways engineer re criteria for village sign. However, the gentleman on Surlingham Lane who produces metal sculptures, would be prepared to repair, and paint the current signs. It was agreed the Clerk could obtain a quote. Regarding the request for a reduction in the speed limit along Surlingham Lane and other similarly rated roads in the village. Clerk had been delayed accessing a particular document. The draft letter is now with Councillor Scowen. The item has not been overlooked. VAT claim for £358 was submitted to HMRC this week. SNDC offered a further Local Restrictions Support Grant to help with the running costs of the Parish hall, this was unable to be accepted as the hall is not closed as it is used by the school. A claim may be possible under the Additional Restrictions Grant. Clerk has registered an interest in making a claim if eligible.
  7. To receive reports from the County and District Councillor – To follow
  8. Public Question Time not exceeding 15 minutes – It was reported the dog bin at the Church had fallen off the post. – Councillor Reeve will reinstate it. Sonia Cox Landlady of the Ferry House asked if she might comment on the flooding issue – See item 10.
  9. Finance – a) Consider Budget/Precept Options – it was agreed to increase the precept for 2021/22 by 8%. This is an increase on the 5% for the year 2020/21. This year the Parish Council will be unable to count on surplus income from the hall to support the parish. The Council needs to conserve the income and grants awarded to the parish hall during the pandemic to cover the running costs. b) Authorise Payments – R Hardingham £105, J Rogers £335, Household Expenses £15.15, Travel £16.20, Eastern Play Services £120, Surlingham Primary School £250, Surlingham Parochial Church Council £250. No cycling Sign £12.
  10. Coldham Hall Flooding – Mr Linder has kept the Parish Council fully informed of his talks with the RSPB and the Environment Agency concerning the flooding. Mr Linder has invited members of the Parish Council to attend a meeting with the relevant agencies in January 2021. The area of Church marsh also leased to the RSPB, and the operation of those sluice gates, was raised as this area affects flooding and the speed of drainage of a much wider area, including footpath 1, the Ferry House, and neighbouring properties.  It was suggested the proposed meeting could be an opportunity to look at the flooding issues of the whole village. Councillors Neave and Atkins suggested contacting the Environment Agency to access a copy of the current flood modelling for the village – Councillor Atkins to draft letter to that effect
  11. Approve the Play Park H&S report – Action plan. It was agreed councillors Reeve and Broom would see what repair work needs to be completed and to install the picnic bench; a working party on Saturday 28 November 2020 will begin the work. Clerk to contact contractors regarding the warranties on the equipment which has started to split. Clerk to obtain a sign to confirm ownership of the park, who to report damaged equipment to and the location reference for emergency services.
  12. Working party for Staithe – At the meeting it was reported that another tree has fallen further along from the Staithe it is still possible for canoes/kayaks to pass it. No action to be taken at this stage regarding the working party to clear the staithe, the item moved to the February agenda
  13. Correspondence: Number of emails received 101 of those 54 circulated to councillors to 10 November 2020
  14. To note items for inclusion on the next council agenda – Play Park, flooding, Data from Speed Camera, Village Fete, Village Sign Quote and Footpath 1.
  15. To confirm the date of the next meeting 15 December 2020 meeting closed at 9:00 p.m.

About surlinghampc

Parish Clerk
This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.