Minutes of the meeting held on 19 October 2021
Present: Councillors Richard Atkins, John Broom, Phil Reeve, Pat Scowen, Janet Rogers Parish Clerk, County and District Councillor Vic Thomson and one member of the public
- Chairman Councillor Broom opened the meeting and welcomed those present
- Apologies and approval of absences – Councillor Swinborne sent apologies
- Declarations of Interest – None
- To approve as accurate the minutes of the meeting on 21 September 2021 – Approved
- Matters arising from those minutes – Item 5 Arrangements have been made for sandbag will be collected from Bramerton and others are still available in Poringland. Item 6 NALC has forwarded the details of the school field to Birketts for advice. Items 6 & 8 Councillor Atkins asked Councillor Thomson to follow up with Norfolk Trails Team as to why the repairs to the footpath by the church, agreed in May 2021 have not been completed and emails are unanswered. The path is impassable at least twice a day as the river erodes the path further. Also why is NCC map still showing the Boardwalk as being closed when the Clerk confirmed with NCC no work is planned. Item 9 The air vent in the hall needs to be replaced – Action: Councillor Swinborne. Item 11 Councillor Scowen asked if the clerk could find out the timescale for the presentation to enable preparations to be made. – Action: Clerk to email NALC Item 17 Councillor Atkins advised Litter Pick will take place on 9 January 2022.
- Progress report for information on items not on the agenda: Chairman/Councillors/Clerk: Clerk reported forms to remove and add signatories have been sent to Barclays.
- To receive reports from the County and District Councillor – see Surlingham.org
- Public Question Time 15 minutes unless directed by the chairman. See below
- Emergency Plan – A resident provided councillors with a copy of the previous emergency plan of 2012. Councillors welcomed this and asked for a copy to be sent to Councillor Scowen. This version will be in addition to the leaflet also in development: Action: Councillor Scowen.
- Approve addition of Clerk to Church & Poor Charity to Clerks Job Description. The wording had been agreed by the Trustees. Councillors recommended the job descriptions of Parish Clerk and Clerk to the Charity be separated as the Governance document of the charity states the clerk is appointed by the Trustees and they may wish to appoint someone other than the Parish Clerk sometime in the future. Action: Clerk to divide the job descriptions.
- Staithe – Navigation – Councillor Atkins has been given permission by the RSPB to clear the dykes to improve navigation by kayak. Councillor Atkins asked the Clerk to contact the owner of the adjoining land for permission to use the bank on his land to complete the work. – Action: Clerk to contact landowner
- COP 26 – What is the Parish Council’s response? The Council supports in principle the fight against climate change. Councillors agreed to fund the publication of a leaflet for distribution to residents and would like to see a copy prior to printing. Action: Clerk to notify Cathy Terry
- Finance – Quarterly Statement September. The clerk asked for clarification of the Covid Grants and the transfer of funds discussed in March. Should the amount be ringfenced? Councillors agreed the previous arrangement to stand. Action Clerk to correct the quarterly statement. Payments: R Hardingham £126.67, J Rogers £1174.02, NALC £36, Play Garden rent £5.00, Zoom £14.39 and Postage Stamps £5.10 – Approved
- Village Fete/Queens Platinum Jubilee Celebration (2/5 June 2022) – Councillors suggested this would be a good opportunity to celebrate after so many events were cancelled over the last 18 months. Suggestion was a post on the village website asking for volunteers to organise a fete. Action: Clerk to post invitation on Surlingham.org
- To consider an invitation from Bramerton PC to develop a combined Neighbourhood Plan with Bramerton, Rockland St Mary and Surlingham – Councillors had considered a Neighbourhood plan and also attended workshops provided by SNDC so they are aware of the work and commitment required. For those reasons councillors while grateful to be asked would have to decline the invitation. Action: Clerk to reply to Councillor Butler.
- Road sign on New Road – A resident has asked if it was possible for the road sign for New Road to have 10/11 & 12 Walnut Hill added to it? Action: Resolved Clerk contacted SNDC who will discuss with the resident to find a solution.
- Any Other Business – Councillor Scowen asked if email responses could be better managed. It was agreed that the clerk would ask councillors if a subject required debate and if so, would add the item to the agenda.
- Date of next meeting 16 November 2021