In partnership with Norfolk County Council Trading Standards, we are warning residents after receiving reports of doorstep cold callers in the Hethersett area.
In the incident a resident was cold called at their property by three males who offered to ‘pressure wash and seal’ their driveway. Initially the resident agreed to the work with the cold caller quoting £140. Having undertaken a small amount of work one of the males then stated to the resident that the job was ‘going to cost more’. This was then repeated during the work with the cold caller eventually demanding more than £500.
The cold callers were seen to be using a white Ford Transit with red and black sign writing.
We always advise:
• NEVER deal with cold callers looking to undertake work on or around your property
• NEVER agree to have work done by somebody who is ‘just passing’ or take their word that it needs to be done at all
• NEVER allow a cold caller access to your home, roof or gardens even if they are offering to do tasks for free or a small fee
• NEVER pay for work before it is completed
• When looking to have work done on or around your property ONLY deal with reputable companies you have researched and chosen yourself and have obtained a written quotation from before commencing the work.
Anyone sighting these cold callers in Norfolk or concerned about Rogue Trader activity please contact us through our partners the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 0808 223 1133 or Norfolk Constabulary via 101.
If you feel intimidated or sight a cold caller and are concerned for vulnerable neighbours call 999