Surlingham Parish Council
Minutes of the meeting held 15 November 2022
Present: Councillors Richard Atkins, John Broom, Pat Scowen, Dave Swinborne, Martin White, Pam Wilson, Parish Clerk Janet Rogers, and one parishioner. County and District Councillor Thomson joined the meeting later.
- Welcome by the Chairman – The Chairman opened the meeting.
- Apologies and approval of absences – Councillor Reeve
- Declarations of Interest – none
- Councillor White to complete Declaration of Acceptance – Signed and witnessed by the Clerk.
- To approve as accurate the minutes of the meeting on 18 October 2022 – Approved
- Matters arising from those minutes – Item 6 AWA – Flush drains when there is a blockage. Item 11 Land Registry paperwork for pond handed to Councillor Atkins. Item 14 Sapientia has been informed the electricity cost will increase from 1 March 2023 when the current fixed contract ends.
- Progress report for information on items not on the agenda: Clerk – Correspondence – An email from a parishioner regarding the road works on Mill Road and the subsequent road closures, had been circulated to councillors prior to the meeting. NCC notified the Clerk on Friday several days after the closure. NCC Street Works Engineer confirmed this was an emergency Network UK closure; the utilities are exempt from the required three months’ notice to NCC of a planned road closure in the event of an emergency. They are also responsible for informing the contractors where to place the signs. The signs’ confirmed businesses were open as usual. With emergency closures there is no time to have more specific signs made.
- To receive reports from the County and District Councillor – The reports cover information on Warm Rooms and the services available at local libraries. SNDC recycling app, Update on the work of the Fire and Rescue Service, Council Tax Consultation, Message from Lord Dannett and the Flood Alliance, Bird Flu, Adult learning, and much more. See the full reports on Surlingham.org.
- Public question time – 15 minutes unless directed by the chairman of the meeting. A parishioner was informed by cyclists riding down the footpaths that they were logging routes on an app called Kamoot to promote them to other cyclists, walkers.
- Parish Hall – Discuss and agree heating action plan. Repair the broken heater and remove the broken one – Agreed. Discussion continued regarding improving the energy efficiency of the hall. Councillor Scowen has contacted the Local Enterprise Hub for information and the clerk will contact Sapientia to see if they can offer any advice.
- Planning – a) Revised Retrospective Planning Application 2022/1505 51A The Street – Erection of annexe and store. Councillor Scowen and the clerk will submit a further response objecting to the application. b) Planning Enforcement – Councillor Atkins had been contacted regarding a planning application that is not progressing. Councillor Thomson was passed the details to follow-up.
- Village Pond and Staithe maintenance plan – Pond – Councillor Atkins offered to use a brush cutter/strimmer to cut the grass down around the pond. In the new year the reed can be pulled out and parishioners invited to help remove it. Staithe – is silted up and in need of dredging again. An amount will be included in the budget which will be set aside each year to cover the cost and an application made to the Church & Poor charity for support – Agreed
- Finance – a) Authorise Payments – R Hardingham £126.67, J Rogers £562.33, Orange Fox Ltd £111.59, St Mary’s PCC £250, Surlingham Primary School £250, NALC £72. Retrospective Payments – Amazon Paper Hand Towels £28.49. b) Agree Budget 2023/24 – Agreed. Agree the increase to the precept for 2023/24. The decision was to increase the Parish proportion of the Council Tax by £5.57 per annum for Band D properties – Agreed
- Approve the Employment Policy – Agreed
- Date of next meeting 20 December 2022 Meeting closed at 9:30 p.m.